Calendar

CH
Clark, Hugh
Sat, Apr 15, 2023 2:20 PM

Has anyone seen the beautiful essay in today’s NYTimes on the Book of hours and calendars?

The illustrations (which are legitimately gorgeous) include a South Asian calendar with the trigrams embedded in the central motif.

Can anyone explain what they are doing there? It’s the only Sinitic motif in the piece, the rest is in Sanskrit with decidedly South Asian motifs.

Hugh Clark

Sent from my iPad

Has anyone seen the beautiful essay in today’s NYTimes on the Book of hours and calendars? The illustrations (which are legitimately gorgeous) include a South Asian calendar with the trigrams embedded in the central motif. Can anyone explain what they are doing there? It’s the only Sinitic motif in the piece, the rest is in Sanskrit with decidedly South Asian motifs. Hugh Clark Sent from my iPad
JA
Joseph A. Adler
Sat, Apr 15, 2023 3:11 PM

It sure looks Tibetan to me. Why would a Sinitic element be surprising?

Joseph Adler

--
Joseph A. Adler
Professor Emeritus

It sure looks Tibetan to me. Why would a Sinitic element be surprising? Joseph Adler On 4/15/2023 10:20 AM, Clark, Hugh wrote: > Has anyone seen the beautiful essay in today’s NYTimes on the Book of hours and calendars? > > The illustrations (which are legitimately gorgeous) include a South Asian calendar with the trigrams embedded in the central motif. > > Can anyone explain what they are doing there? It’s the only Sinitic motif in the piece, the rest is in Sanskrit with decidedly South Asian motifs. > > Hugh Clark > > Sent from my iPad > _______________________________________________ > Listserv mailing list -- listserv@mail.songyuan.org > To unsubscribe send an email to listserv-leave@mail.songyuan.org -- Joseph A. Adler Professor Emeritus Asian Studies & Religious Studies Kenyon College Gambier, Ohio, USA http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/Fac/Adler/adler.htm
YX
Yin, Xiaotian
Sat, Apr 15, 2023 3:17 PM

Dear all,

It is a Tibetan astrological chart and this particular piece is in the collection of Rubin Museum of Art, New York.

https://rubinmuseum.org/collection/artwork/astrological-chart

Xiaotian Yin

Get Outlook for iOShttps://aka.ms/o0ukef

Dear all, It is a Tibetan astrological chart and this particular piece is in the collection of Rubin Museum of Art, New York. https://rubinmuseum.org/collection/artwork/astrological-chart Xiaotian Yin Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef> ________________________________ From: Joseph A. Adler <adlerj@kenyon.edu> Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2023 11:11:27 AM To: Clark, Hugh <hclark@ursinus.edu>; listserv@songyuan.org <listserv@songyuan.org> Subject: [Song-Yuan Listserv] Re: Calendar It sure looks Tibetan to me. Why would a Sinitic element be surprising? Joseph Adler On 4/15/2023 10:20 AM, Clark, Hugh wrote: > Has anyone seen the beautiful essay in today’s NYTimes on the Book of hours and calendars? > > The illustrations (which are legitimately gorgeous) include a South Asian calendar with the trigrams embedded in the central motif. > > Can anyone explain what they are doing there? It’s the only Sinitic motif in the piece, the rest is in Sanskrit with decidedly South Asian motifs. > > Hugh Clark > > Sent from my iPad > _______________________________________________ > Listserv mailing list -- listserv@mail.songyuan.org > To unsubscribe send an email to listserv-leave@mail.songyuan.org -- Joseph A. Adler Professor Emeritus Asian Studies & Religious Studies Kenyon College Gambier, Ohio, USA http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/Fac/Adler/adler.htm _______________________________________________ Listserv mailing list -- listserv@mail.songyuan.org To unsubscribe send an email to listserv-leave@mail.songyuan.org